May 20, 2007

Oil Change

I've done the first oil change now. Much earlier than the recommended 300km, but I beleive in taking care of my engines. First off, I found that my oil drain pan is to big; it's so big around the it doesn't fit between the kickstand and the rear wheel. So off to the store I go to find something smaller. It didn't need to be very big because the engine holds less than a quart of oil. So I unscrew the drain plug and as I get to the end of the threads, the plug suddenly shoots accross the floor and the spring fires itself into the drain pan. Now, I knew there was a spring involved in this (I don't know WHY) but I didn't expect it to be this strong. When I change the oil in an engine for the first time, I like to do it slowly and carefully to make sure I see exactly how all the parts fit together. Not this time. The screen was still in the engine. Luckly the whole contraption was not hard to figure out. I carefully cleaned the parts. There were quite a few very small metal shavings in the bottom of the plug, but this is to be expected at the first oil change (the reason I do the first change much earlier than manufacturers recommend). The only trick to reinstalling everything was threading a slippery plug without cross threading while pressing against the spring. When I went to add the new oil I noticed another small problem. The big fat muffler will not allow the oil bottle to pour directly into the engine; a funnel is needed. The only funnel I had was too short and straight. So off to the store again for a flexible funnel. The whole proccess will go much faster nest time.

No comments: