Jan 3, 2007

Arrival


Just yesterday my post hinted at how eager I am getting for the scooter to arrive. Surprise! This morning it arrived via Fed Ex. As usual for a Chinese bike, the cardboard container was damaged, but thanks to the steal framing inside and the very secure way the scooter was fasten to it, there was no damage to the scooter. Removing the bike from the crate was easy but time consuming (lots of nuts and bolts to remove). The scooter looks exactly like the pictures on EBay (I've heard several stories about people not even receiving the right color!). The quality of the bike appears to be good. The body has a nice high gloss finish. From what I've read about other peoples Chinese bikes, mine seems to require more assembly than most. Attaching the front wheel was more difficult than I was lead to believe; the holes in the forks, the hole in the wheel, the spacer, and the speedometer housing all have to be aligned WHILE you move the wheel so the disc goes between the pads, which is complicated by the tire hitting the caliper if the wheel is not at just the right angle. Not a one person job. I ran out of time tonight, so hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'll certainly be following your exploits.

I actually think that's a pretty cool looking scooter. There is a bizzarely colored "Tank 150" that parks near me that looks identical to yours. The "faux english" stickers all over it are hilarious. (eg. Speed Power!)

I went with a used Kymco, rather than a complete crapshoot like what you've done. You read the same stuff I did on the web...everybody says these chinese scooters are just crap. If you are mechanically inclined, obviously you have a good chance of tinkering it up to a level of scooter fun & practicality. (Assuming you can get whatever parts you need.) Still though, even when 100% operational, likely you are sacrificing performance (handling/braking/power) to Taiwanese/Japanese/Italian makes. But you did say it was CHEAP.

Fascinating. Good luck.